The architectural ensemble of Anchor Square was formed at the beginning of the 20th century on the site of a former warehouse of anchor equipment. Many attractions are concentrated on the square: the Naval Cathedral, the monument to Fedor Ushakov, the monument to Stepan Makarov, twenty-six memorial plaques dedicated to the defense of Kronstadt during the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945, the cast-iron pavement, relics of the battleship “October Revolution”, a cannon of Ivan Tombasov , eternal flame to the victims of the revolutionary events of the beginning of the XX century. The territory of the square is bordered by a ravine and a basin of the Petrovsky Dock. Behind the Naval Cathedral, a mosaic panel “Glory of the Russian Navy” is installed at the poolside. Nowadays, the main city festivals and concerts with crowds of people are held on the square.
The Naval Cathedral in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (built in 1902-1913, architect V.A. Kosyakov) is the main architectural dominant of Kronstadt. The majestic cathedral in its size is one of the three largest temples in Russia. The prototype for this masterpiece of Russian architecture was the main church of Orthodox Christianity – Hagia Sophia of Constantinople. In addition to the main, cult significance, the cathedral was built as a monument to the Russian fleet. Marble plaques with the names of sailors and clergymen who died in the performance of military duty from 1695 to 1917 are fixed on its walls. Currently, the cathedral hosts guided tours with the ascent to the drum of the main dome. In height, this observation platform surpasses the colonnade of St. Isaac’s Cathedral and the bell tower of Smolny Cathedral. Top offers a magnificent view of Kronstadt, the island of Kotlin and the sea forts of the Fortress.